Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Delicious tender homemade pita bread, so easy to make and can be enjoyed warm right of the oven with a dollop of butter.
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
Combine all of the ingredients, in a large bowl and knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Place the dough in oiled bowl, and allow it to rest for one hour or until it doubled in size.
Punch down then let it rest for another 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces shape each piece into a smooth ball. roll each piece into a 9-inch circle and place on a lightly greased baking sheet and allow them to rest for 15 minutes covered.
preheat the oven to 500F
- Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes they should puff up if not wait a little longer.
- Wrap in a clean dry cloth or store in an airtight container.