Spinach and cheese fatayer, these are Middle eastern hand pies, oval-shaped pies filled with sometimes cheese, meat etc. Here we are making the spinach and cheese fatayer made with ricotta and feta and chopped spinach, these are lovely for serving a crowd or a potluck party.
Spinach Cheese Fatayer
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
For the cheese:
- 1 cup fetta cheese crumbled
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 8 oz spinach chopped
- 1 egg whisked
- salt and pepper to season to taste
- Mix the cheeses, spinach, parsley and the egg in a mixing bowl, add salt and pepper to taste and chill until ready.
To make the dough:
- In a mixing bowl mix the flour sugar, yeast, and salt add the olive oil and mix well.
- Add the water and kneed to form a dough for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough on a working surface with little flour and cut into small balls about 24 pieces,
- roll each dough ball into an oval shape
- spread one tablespoon of the filling in the center.
- Fold one edge of the dough over leaving a space in the center press and seal. Then fold the other edge the same way and repeat this to all the dough balls.
- Brush all the fatayer with melted butter and bake for 180c/350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.