Creme caramel or flan is a lovely cold custard dessert with caramel on the bottom. Caramel and custard are both my favorite and this dessert contains both what a treat. It is very simple to make the only things is after it bakes the two-hour waiting time. It is perfect to make ahead for your gussets the day before of their arrival, and the flavor improves as it sits. Enjoy this creamy creme caramel.
Creme caramel or flan is a lovely cold custard dessert with caramel on the bottom
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f
- Place Six 1/2 cup ramekins in a large baking dish.
- Heat water in a kettle.
- In a small saucepan, cook the sugar and water until it is melted and color changes to golden brown, careful not to burn. Pour the hot caramel into the ramekins evenly.
- In the same saucepan add the milk sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves and in another mixing bowl whisk, the eggs then add the hot milk to the eggs slowly while mixing.
Ladle the mixture into the ramekins and fill them evenly.
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and fill with warm water halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
Bake until 40 to 45 minutes, remove the ramekins from the baking dish to a cooling rack.
- Chill when just slightly warm in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- To unmold run a sharp knife around the edge of each custard. Cover the ramekin with a small plate, then invert and serve with fruit.