This version of Coconut Basbousa (Basbosa) Semolina Cake is very moist and delicious if you have a sweet tooth then this is the right recipe for you a little slice of the cake goes a long way and can be shared by a crowd the cake is best eaten when cooled down and all the syrup seeps in the cake when cut because of the syrup that
- 2 cups coarse semolina
- 1 cup fine ground semolina
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup melted butter or oil
for the syrup:
- 3 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9×13 inch sheet cake pan.
- Combine the semolina, coconut, sugar baking powder in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add milk, yogurt, and the butter or oil to the bowl and mix until there are no lumps and it all mixed.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan let it stand for about 30 min to 1 hour on the counter, slice before baking and decorate with nuts and bake until the edges begin to pull away and skewer inserted comes out clean about 30-45 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the top of the cake while the cake is hot.
- Cool and slice the cake.