The apples are caramelized over the stove in a skillet, then the pancake batter is poured over the apples and then baked. The Apple Duch baby pancake puffs up in the oven as soon as it comes out it deflates. Make sure you catch that first moment.
Apple Dutch Baby Pancake or German Pancake
- 4 tbs (57 grams) butter divided
- 4 eggs
- 2 apples sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar divided
- 1 cup (142 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 400 degreesF.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch cast iron pan and heat the pan add the apple slices and 2 tablespoons of sugar cook the apples until soft and caramelized.
- In a bowl mix the eggs and the flour and 2 tablespoons of sugar, add the milk, vanilla extract, butter, and mix until smooth.
- Carefully pour the batter into the center over the apples.
- Bake for 20 minutes, do not open the oven while baking.
- The Dutch baby or the German Pancake will puff up and it will sink again when cooled.
- Serve warm with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and lemon wedges for squeezing.